1.29.2016

The church clock




I've always loved those little machines that all they do is to spin several needles around its covers.
Although not always small: Some are really great as the clock of the church where my mother took me back in the Parish of San Jose in the city of Valencia (Venezuela). That clock occupied the entire top floor of the tower.
In time, it allowed me to go up to the clock tower, the watchmaker who gave that wonderful machine rope by means of a crank.
One day the watch was not and the vicar of the parish sent for me to ask if I know this clock set the time. Of course I said yes and then he gave me the key to the door leading to the floor of the great machine. I remember those able to swallow gears any distracted that came too close.
The mechanism worked by falling weights that were controlled by a large pendulum gradually allowed the ropes that held the weights, to leave unwinding. 
It goes without saying that in reality had never allowed me the watchmaker who approached me, but I memorized everything he did point to keep watch.
So I set to work loosening large nuts here and there with a huge key. Ultimately not extend much the story, I managed to put the clock and make it correspond with the bells to mark the needles. 
Of course the boy I was back then, was about 16, he became the manager of the clock for many years.

No comments: